Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

End the Year Strong: Central Bliss


Another travel backlog post done, yay. It's the part 2 of End the Year Strong series. In case you'd be interested, part 1 can be found here.

FYI: We went around Sheung Wan and Central in one day. So, I decided to divide our full day there into two posts due to geographic issues. Here goes! 

I learned to love Central District again last month. Although it has been my constant place to visit in Hong Kong, this time around, it was a whole new experience for me. Allow me to be a proud member of the team. Ehem. Butch and I managed to tick off items on our most ambitious itinerary yet AND discover a few new places (that I would love to revisit in the future). Win-win! 

Some highlights of Central: 

After watching Night of the Museum in IFC, we had an early lunch at Crystal Jade Xiao Long Bao. Tried their namesake aka must-try (!) xiao long bao, which Butch has been raving about forever. Ordered a bowl of extra spicy noodles (la mian) and it was also good. 

Me against a mural by Goods of Desire (G.O.D.)

On the way to Sheung Wan, we saw a lot of public art lurking around the area, which launched my panic button. On a hopeful note, I'm glad I got to unearth these during our visit cause I'd love to explore more in the future. 

This was taken at PMQ (former Police Married Quarters) aka everything was beautiful. It's a newly opened hub for creativity, arts and local artists of all sorts. If you're in HK, this is an amazing place to explore. It's located along Aberdeen Street.

And of course, SOHOFAMA - the best find, which has only been open for 3 months. A joint venture by G.O.D. and Locofama. I honestly loved this restaurant.

I got myself a coffee fix. Cappuccino, forever and ever. While we were here, just for the record, Butch has revealed his distaste for coffee. Funnily enough, I thought about our relationship built on a string of such irony. 

And another one of the public art. Still on a xiao long BAO high. 

We also got to see artjamming, an amazing place that offers freestyle painting experience and paint buffet. Definitely not to be missed.  

Conquered more Central streets. Also, there's something passionate about colourful Chinese signboards. 

Bookazine is a small local bookshop that appeared on my radar while walking along Lyndhurst Terrace. I don't have decent photos due to the thing called book rush. Just for the record, again, Page One's still on top of my list. 


To cap off the visit, we had fresh, hot egg tarts. 


Places to check out: 
  • Crystal Jade Xiao Long Bao
  • G.O.D.
  • SOHOFAMA
  • artjamming
  • PMQ
  • Bookazine
  • Page One
  • Tai Cheong Bakery 

Photos by Butch Domingo and Lad Argonza

No comments:

Post a Comment