Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Bye Bye 2014 & Hello 2015!

Happy New Year!

Many of us, right now, are probably thinking what (plan, strategy or resolution) would make this new shiny 2015 a better and happier year. Although it's tempting to go straight into the exciting part aka the planning stage, now's the perfect time to do a little retrospective of the year that was, giving a proper farewell to it and also making sure you carry the lessons you need from all your experiences.

On a personal note, 2014 was one of my most accomplished and mature year yet – from getting up at 4:30am for work, setting financial goals, achieving career growth, to traveling to places using my hard-earned money. Although there were a lot of amaaaaazing experiences, it has also been challenging – anxiety, confusion and a whooole lot of hits and misses. While I think that's only normal when you're chasing your dreams, when I thought about the year as whole what I realised was that the phrase making it happen was something that covers all the different experiences I had. Any accomplishments I had were mostly rooted on sticking to that goal list on the back page of my planner, and any faults or lapses along the way were (I believed) part of the learning process. As I'm writing this, it feels surreal to know how I ticked off 9 out of 11 goals on the list. Not bad for a first timer, right?

From reading tons of thought-provoking websites (e.g. Thought Catalog, Elite Daily), self-help books and inspiring quotes, it seems like the key to long-term positivity when it comes to any goal, is about keeping good memories strong. I've come to see that reviewing your previous experiences is essential in planning your future ones. This will help you to stop doing something which didn't work out, to track your progress, to be more focused, to be more present, to be more inspired. That's why these coming weeks, I'm going to retrace some of my favorite experiences through End the Year Strong series, the culmination of my (self-proclaimed) breakout year, 2014. It's a five-part series of explorations, good accidents and a bit of misadventures recalled to generally welcome 2015 with energy and excitement from my weeklong stay in Hong Kong and a side trip to Macau.

By doing this, I'm starting to step out of my comfort zone and at the same time committing in the process of turning myself from being a copywriter into a storyteller. Even though I am still a super rookie on this aspect of writing, I really want to turn Wakay Diaries into something more.

Cheers to really getting started in 2015!


Photo: Butch Domingo 

No comments:

Post a Comment